RSS

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peter's

pic: rocksbackpages.com

Today's Saturday Playlist: REM's Pandora and what it spat out.


One of the best songs ever: "Strange Currencies"…the intensity, the poetry. Reminds me of so many brown haired boys I can’t even tell you where my memory begins.

pic: celebrityvalues.com


“Yellow Ledbetter” live by Pearl Jam. Wish their VB Ampitheater show was good. Really do. But it wasn’t.



"Because the Night" by 10,000 Maniacs. I'm going through a discovery phase w/ Patti Smith right now (read this blog, you'll see). Love this song more than ever. And the 90's throwback is kinda cool though I usually don't like Natalie Merchant.


Mazzy Star: "Fade Into You." How many times have you heard this song and wondered how someone unknown knew it all. Dreampop at its best.

pic: atu2.com

Waaay to much U2 on this station, FYI.


pic: deviantart

“Everybody Hurts”: yep. This is a big hit for them, but it’s gorgeous and written very very well. Hard to believe what Stipe was probably going through when writing it. Early 90s, closeted, AIDS-a-phobia.


Isn't this a fantastic f'ing picture ?!?

 
pic: Associated Press

Beatles: "Hide Your Love Away" and later, John Lennon "Watching the Weeds"  and "Imagine" both live from the record Acoustic.




Smiths: "How Soon is Now" from Meat is Murder...yeah man :) Lyrically, I see the REM connection from "Everybody Hurts." "I am human and I need to be loved just like everyone else does?" How did I never see mental parallels between Morissey and Michael Stipe before? Thanks Pandora!

No comments: